Standards to become a commercial pilot
To become a commercial pilot or a captain in the future, students must have 2 most important factors: specialized knowledge and resolute psychology. With an international standard curriculum, those factors will be guaranteed to be trained throughout the process. Additionally, the other factors of gender, height, .. are no longer barriers for students who are passionate about commercial pilots.
Who is a commercial pilot?
A commercial pilot is a person who specializes in controlling and operating aircraft in the field of passenger or cargo traffic (different from military pilots who fly fighters, aircraft serving in the army). This is a job that requires specialized knowledge, skills in controlling, operating aircraft and other related skills.
Conditions to become a commercial pilot
a, Soft skills of commercial pilots in general
"Soft skills" are those related to work ethics, people, society and attitudes. To achieve success, a pilot is required to have many different soft skills.
- Communication and teamwork skills: Communication is an important factor in every pilot's job. For everyone's safety, pilots must keep constant contact with Air Traffic Control and those on board. Besides, the skill in coordinating with other pilots in the cockpit is also important.
- Stress management and assertiveness skills : in an emergency, it is obligatory for the pilot to remain calm and gather information to ensure not only for his own interests, but also for the benefit of the entire crew and passengers.
- Intense concentration and flexibility in handling work: pilots must concentrate intensely because they are required to perform many tasks at the same time while flying an aircraft. Every detail in flight is important and demands the pilot's full attention. In addition to navigating the plane, the pilot also needs to communicate with Air Traffic Control, the flight crew, and the passengers on board.
- Technical knowledge of the aircraft in control and the weather conditions: Before taking off, the pilot is responsible for checking the condition of the aircraft from the inside out. Pilots use various checklists, before, during and after flight to ensure the plane in the appropriate status. Pilot skills, such as observing changes in weather and other aircraft, viewing aircraft configurations, systems, and attitudes, and knowing procedures to use in all situations are critical.
- Understanding Math and Physics: during the flight training at international standard flight academies, you'll learn about these subjects and much more, but don't worry, your flight instructor will help you during the process of getting used to and learning to fly.
b, Specific standards and skills to become a pilot working in Vietnam
Pilots in Vietnam need to meet the following standards of appearance and health:
- Being a citizen of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam
- Graduating from high school
- TOEIC 700 or IELTS 6.0 or higher (valid certificate)
- Age from 18 to 32 years old
- Height: from 1m65 ( for males ), from 1m58 ( for females )
- Weight: from 52kg ( for males ), from 50kg ( for females )
- Meeting the health standards for civilian pilots of the Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam.
Most domestic airlines will recruit students with the above criteria. After graduating and receiving certifications, students will be able to stay working at these airlines. Students can only become Pilots or Co-Pilot here, because these conditions and skills are not enough to assume captains at Vietnamese or international airlines.
Currently, Vietnam has about 2500 pilots. The total number of foreign pilots working in Vietnam is about 1220 people (accounting for 49%). It can be seen that the pilots in every flight are foreigners. This is a waste of human resources.
Specific standards and skills to become a pilot in the US and internationally
Standards for commercial pilots in the US are not too demanding, students need to meet the following basics:
- Graduating from high school, 18 years of age or older
- Without distinguishing gender (in the US, job opportunities after graduation of women are higher than men)
- 5.0 IELTS certification and up (valid within 12 months).
- Physically healthy
- No height or weight requirements.
- No restrictions on people with glasses.
After completing international standard programs, students will receive certifications as necessary and sufficient conditions to become a Captain in the US and internationally:
- Commercial Pilot License (CPL)
- Certified Flight Instructor (CFI)
- Certified Flight Instructor – Instrument (CFII)
- Multi-Engine Instructor (MEI)
Besides, the accumulation of experience during learning (calculated by actual flight hours) is also very important to evaluate the experience of the pilot. Any airline is ready to welcome pilots who accumulate actual flight time from 1000 to 1500 hours (this number is approximate depending on airline requirements).
Through all the mentioned information, Skylead has brought the standards of commercial pilot training in the world, the basic criteria of appearance are no longer a barrier for pilot students in the future.